Friday, February 26, 2010

Vermiculture

I have decided to start a very small scale suburban farm on my little plot of paradise. I am hopeful we can eventually produce 50% of our food, through gardening and aquaponics and possibly even a few chickens for eggs.

There are tons of hurdles to overcome, but I think I am starting early enough this year to make a good stab at it, and I learned a lot last year about gardening in the high desert. I am making plans to convert our ornamental garden beds into veggies, and trying to expand upon our conventional garden a bit this year. I am also very curious how many of the perrenials have made it through the winter.

Our first project is to start a vermiculture compost. I the weather is good enough tomorrow, I will drive to Minden and buy our first batch of worms, and while we re there I will hopefully learn enough to keep them alive.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to know more about how you can by pass the HOA and get chickens. When I grew up in the L.A. area, you could have chickens if you were in the 4-H. Kale is such a beautiful landscaping plant! Kale pesto is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My best guess is to not ask... just let your neighbors know there will be free eggs heading their way.

    ReplyDelete